Thursday, May 27, 2010

story: Lucky's Comics


Lisa W. met with Ben of Lucky's Comic Store. Ben works for Gabe, who opened the store 15 years ago. It used to be in the storefront where Regional Assembly of Text is, a few doors down. Here is what Ben had to say:



Above: Ben poses for a few snapshots.


"I really liked comic books as a kid, yeah, I still like them. I don't like the super hero stuff, I like the kind of underground more avant garde, stuff like that; graphic novels that tell really good stories, something that's different. You can only read X-Men for so long……..for some people.





Gabe opened up Lucky's 15 years ago. It used to be at another location for about 4 years. I came here 3.5 years ago. I think it used to have a bit too much of a Magic Card feeling to it. I'm happy with the new colours it is painted, it brightened it up.



Above: the old skull gate.


Lucky's used to have this gate with skulls all over it. I was like, "You want kids to come in here?!"


A lot of regulars help support us for sure. They're the ones that know to come here to get different stuff. I think the general public is either totally blown away by this store or totally don't understand it at all. I've had a lot of people come in here and be like, "So, adults read these?" and I'm like, "Yeah, you'd be surprised."





We have a very specific selection of books. We are a niche store that is well known for that. Lucky's is the place to go to get really good graphic novels and lots of local artist's work.


I have had to run down shoplifters a few times. There were some kids here once who stuffed their bags with comics and then ran off. So I ran after them and brought them back here. I gave them two choices, I could call their parents or call the cops. They cried. One of them came back here and apologized.


It's a really hard business, especially right now. On the flipside there is so much amazing stuff that no one's buying. It's not a cheap hobby to have.




Above: Children's drawings inside Lucky's


I love this neighbourhood. I hope no one purposely burns down our building and opens up a Tim Hortons. No one wants that.




Above: one of Ben's drawings

I'm an artist myself and any media that's interesting I gravitate towards whether it's film, a painting or a good comic book. I like to know what is good right now and different. Working here has been a big eye opener for me, and I've been able to meet a lot of people who have helped me along. It's nice to be a part of the community."



Lucky's also has a gallery, this is the upcoming show!

No comments: